There are certain rules that everyone should know.
“Never get involved in a land war in Asia” being one of them.
|Never go against a Sicilian when death is on the line!|
Being a Merchant Mariner there are a whole different list of rules to know.
Back when I was in school, Captain Murphy had a list that was called the “Rules of Tankers”. Included were “You are responsible for your own entertainment” and the “Goes into, goes out of” rule.
People who work on tugboats have a separate list of rules. This is by no means an “Official” list. Just a general listing of things that have been spoken and passed down over the years.
Just don't break them.
Top Ten Rules of Tugboats
1. Tugboating is a contact sport.
2. The weather forecast will be wrong.
3. Keep your name out of the newspaper.
4. Crew change WILL get screwed up. No exceptions.
5. Never underestimate the stupidity of people who work in any type of office.
6. They aren’t always pretty. Just don’t break anything.
7. Don't mess with the grub.
8. It’s not the lines’ fault.
9. You're only as good as your last job.
10. Everyone has a top ten list, honestly, 9 rules is more than enough.