Monday, September 10, 2012

Switching Gears

So this is a maritime blog (for the most part). But I would be remiss if I didn't switch things up a bit every now and then. So I give you one of the greatest movies EVER... 


I'll never wear a life jacket again

This year marks the 37th Anniversary and the Blu-ray release of the movie Jaws
My wife and I are big fans of the film. BIG FANS.

Last weekend, we were in Connecticut for my brother-in-laws wedding. A summary of which can be located here. I happened to be wearing (no, not to the wedding) my “Quint's Shark Fishing” t-shirt that my wife bought for me.
 Yeah, my wife is that awesome! 

Which led to a discussion about the shirt, Jaws, and the name “Quint”. For some ungodly reason, some people were trying to convince me that the name of Robert Shaw's character in Jaws was “Quinn”. Now let's completely disregard the fact that I was wearing a t-shirt with “Quint's Shark Fishing” on it. Let's just focus on the fact that I'm a fan of the film. Trying to convince me he was named “Quinn" wasn't going to happen. I know the name. I've seen the movie once or twice. Perhaps more than that. I'm more sure of the man's name than I'm sure the U.S national debt happens to be a lot of money. I wasn't going to budge. The character is named “Quint” not “Quinn”. 
Alas, they were having none of it. They were convinced they were right. I was positive they were wrong. I know my Jaws

And this is where it got weird.
I walked away.
Let me repeat that.
I walked away.

Normally, I would have argued with them until the end of time. I was right. I knew I was right. I knew they were wrong. For the-love-of-all-things-being-holy I was wearing a t-shirt that proved them to be wrong. It was in print. Right in front of their faces. And yet they insisted he was named “Quinn”.
Quint

So, I walked away.
I related this tale to my wife. She was stunned. Both in the stupidity of said argument AND that I walked away. I was prepared to have to perform CPR on her. She was speechless. To say the least.
I was kind of proud of myself. 

“Never argue with an idiot. They just bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.”

I think living in the South is making me soft.
At the very least, it is helping to lower my blood pressure.

P.S.- So much for getting away from the “maritime” theme. You don't get much more marine related than Jaws.
 
P.P.S- If you haven't read the book In Harm's Way. Get on it. It is the tale of the U.S.S. Indianapolis, the ship that delivered the bomb that ended World War II and was sunk by a Japanese submarine.
It is the ship that Quint (not Quinn. Idiots.) talks about in one of the more memorable scenes in the movie.

5 comments:

  1. I am AWESOME. But then so is Jaws.

    "Cage goes in the water, you go in the water. Shark's in the water. Our shark."

    The South has mellowed us both. :-(

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will get that book right away...looks like a real page turner. Ha !!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will agree that said movie is not only a classic (as it was released 2 years before my birth) but also a great piece of motion cinema art.

    Yes you are going soft!

    I have read a good number of books on the Indy. This is far and away the best.

    That is all.

    ReplyDelete
  4. April, we have the book I'm our own personal library if you should so be inclined to borrow it to read.

    "Mr. Hopper drives the boat, Chief"
    I could do movie quotes all day.

    Thanks for the comments. It helps to know my wasted time writing these is well wasted time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Damn it auto-correct! It's Hooper! "Hooper drives the boat, Chief"
    Just another character name I'm sure of.

    ReplyDelete